[Phpmyadmin-devel] JQuery AJAX Implementation - Google SoC

Meher Anand meheranandk at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 01:29:01 CET 2010

Hi.

I've tried to come up with a method that will help the UI experience for the
user through AJAX while degrading gracefully for non Javascript supporting
browsers. So here it goes:

Ajaxifying the Browse table interface:

1) Currently clicking on the Delete icon causes a Javascript alert and then
a page refresh takes place. Instead of refreshing, we can have a
$(this).parent().parent().hide() called and at the same time, send a request
to sql.php to make the deletion.

2) Currently clicking on the Edit icon causes a new page to open and changes
must be made and saved there. We can associate the double click event of
JQuery (.dblclick) with each of the fields inside a row so that when one
would double click on a field in the row, all fields in the row turn into
text boxes where changes can be made and once the focus is removed, the text
boxes can become text fields again. Once a user decides to commit all
changes, he would click the 'Submit Changes' button and he would receive the
status update regarding the changes in the table.

3) A similar method can be employed to implement the Add row feature in
Ajax.

These are the ideas that I could come up with right now. The best part about
this is, one need not be concerned about majority of things while writing
the Javascript code. One can see that if Javascript is disabled, the
application would run how it would have normally run otherwise. Also, there
is a team that is working on GUI improvement. Their work can be run
independently of this and very minor changes would have to be made in order
to accommodate the JQuery Ajax code into the improved application.

Please review this idea and let me know if you have any questions regarding
the same.

Regards.

Meher Anand