[Phpmyadmin-devel] GSOC 2010 Charts

Martynas Mickevičius mmartynas at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 00:04:54 CET 2010

2010/3/23 Piotr Przybylski <piotr.prz at gmail.com>

> 2010/3/23 Marc Delisle <marc at infomarc.info>:
> > Martynas Mickevičius a écrit :
> >> Hello everyone,
> >> I have noticed that you are using git as versioning system. Is there any
> PMA
> >> developer using Windows? I am using msysgit and was wondering if there
> are
> >> any alternatives.
> >
> > I am using Linux, but if you don't find anything that works for you, you
> > could install Sun's Virtualbox + some Linux distro in a virtual machine.
> > Works like a charm.
>
> Yesterday I successfully cloned phpMyAdmin repository with
> TortoiseGit, but by using msysgit commandline. Unlike GUI tools it
> shows me some progress and I know whether it works at all, with 180 MB
> repository it is good to know whether the task progresses at all. The
> only problem I have is that some TortoiseGit service crashes about one
> time per two hours (at least on my Windows 7 x64). I intend to try out
> GitExtensions - http://code.google.com/p/gitextensions/w/list , maybe
> it will work better.
>
> --
> Piotr Przybylski

I have tried git extensions today. It is just a simple GUI which connects
msysgit, putty and kdiff3.
And I have to say it is really a slow GUI. So I am going back to using plain
msysgit which works well.

Going back to chart and graph related issues. I guess graphing query results
could be implemented as yet another table dump format. Also bookmarking
queries which provide interesting results to be put into charts and graphing
their results from time to time would prove really useful.

I am not able to figure out how to use bookmarks feature in PMA. I have
noticed a table in phpmyadmin DB for that. So I looked all over the place of
SQL query results, but could not find bookmark button.

Another reporting feature, which could be improved is PDF reports. I would
imagine that adding just a simple font size input box would render this
feature far more usable.

P.S. Just noticed that the PMA translation of my mother tongue, Lithuanian,
has not had any input for some time now. Another project to commit for
translation.