[Phpmyadmin-devel] Revamping phpMyAdmin to utilize MVC architecture

Aaron Maturen atmature at svsu.edu
Mon Mar 29 05:36:40 CEST 2010

Marc Delisle wrote:

>My personal reaction to your proposal: unless your are a super-coder,
>wanting to convert all phpMyAdmin to MVC is too ambitious for 12 weeks.
>Also, even if you *can* do it, how do we blend your project with other
>students' projects?

Thanks Marc,
Do you see a possible conversion to MVC in the future for pma? If thats
the  case, I've seen some proposals for integrating a template system (ie
smarty) which is pretty close to what the view is. If thats the case the
main thing to be done for MVC is the model which would be restructuring
pma's business logic with OOP. If it's done with the adapter design pattern
it could easily slide into back into pma to work with everything. PHP wouldn't
know anything was different when calling all the methods.

If there is a template system integrated with pma, and we Object Orient the
logic, then the final step to MVC would be the controller and getting them
to talk correctly, which I would be more than happy to continue working on
after this summer.

In your opinion would this be more feasible as a summer project? And what is
your ultimate goal for the structure of pma?

-Thank you for your time
Aaron Maturen