[Phpmyadmin-devel] GSoC - working with Git

Marc Delisle marc at infomarc.info
Mon May 10 12:00:39 CEST 2010

Piotr Przybylski a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I want to determine the proper way to work with Git before I break my
> local repository or overly complicate something simple. As I
> understand, the development of projects is to take place in our own
> repositories, preferably push mode repositories made here -
> http://repo.or.cz/regproj.cgi?fork=phpmyadmin.git .
>
> Currently I have a copy of
> ssh://crackpl@phpmyadmin.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/phpmyadmin/phpmyadmin
> and if possible, I would like to configure it so that I will not have
> to pull ~150 MB over my ADSL again. After looking at the Wiki, I came
> up with these commands:
>
> 1. git remote add my-repo git://repo.or.cz/phpmyadmin/my-gsoc-fork.git

Piotr,
the wiki said to use your nick name as a repository name on repo.or.cz.
Look at the existing forks:
http://repo.or.cz/w/phpmyadmin.git/forks

But you are a special case because you already are a team member. I
wonder if we should treat you as a team member or as a student...

> 2. git remote update my-repo
> 3. git checkout my-repo/master
>
> 3. working on my code
> 4. commit
> 5. push (pushes to my repository)
>
> Now, to merge main branch with my code I need to update it:
> 6. git checkout origin/master

I think this should be
git checkout master

> 7. git pull
> Switch to mine branch and merge:
> 8. git checkout my-repo/master
> 9. git merge origin/master
>
> Did I get it right?

I think that "git rebase origin/master" would keep the history of your
own branch.