[Phpmyadmin-devel] Beginner questions

Marc Delisle marc at infomarc.info
Fri May 21 13:57:34 CEST 2010

Ninad Pundalik a écrit :
> Hi All,
>
> The start of the GSoC coding period is just around the corner, and I
> would like to start writing some useful code as soon as possible.  I
> have a few questions before I start doing that though.  In my
> proposal, I have mentioned one of my tasks as writing functions that
> will wrap the output of AJAX requests in well-formed XML.  Over the
> last few days, I have been trying to figure out how to do this.
> Should I use output buffering at the start of an ajax request, read
> the entire output buffer into a string variable and then construct
> either a DOM or a SimpleXML object from that string when the request
> ends?  Or, is there a better way of doing this?

Hi Ninad,

In your deliverables you wrote:
"2. Functions that will wrap the output in well formed XML, so that
jQuery can correctly parse the response and insert the right content at
the right location in the page."

I guess that this would not be necessary if you use JSON?

> Also, when I checked out the latest version from git, I could see that
> a jQuery JSON plugin has been added in the js/jquery folder.  If this
> plugin is being used, should the output for AJAX requests be in JSON
> instead of XML?  I feel it would be a lot more easier to handle the
> output in JSON rather than XML.

Indeed.

> For the AJAX calls, do I use the jQuery's $.get/$.post/$.ajax methods
> directly or should I build wrapper functions around them?

Please do not use wrappers that do nothing; as a bad example in PHP:

// I find cool to use my_echo('Hello');
function my_echo($message) {
  echo $message;
}

> Last, where should I put all the jQuery scripts that will be written
> over the next few weeks in the tree?  Should I keep it in a js/ajax
> folder for the period of this summer, and then merge it later into the
> js folder after the features have been sufficiently tested?

I suggest to put them under /js.