[Phpmyadmin-devel] Beginner questions

Piotr Przybylski piotr.prz at gmail.com
Fri May 21 13:22:42 CEST 2010

2010/5/21 Ninad Pundalik <ninadsp16289 at gmail.com>:
> Also, when I checked out the latest version from git, I could see that
> a jQuery JSON plugin has been added in the js/jquery folder.  If this
> plugin is being used, should the output for AJAX requests be in JSON
> instead of XML?  I feel it would be a lot more easier to handle the
> output in JSON rather than XML.

I added it because my Setup script uses JSON replies for validation.
Besides, parsing JSON (both constructing and parsing) is faster than
XML, requires less bandwidth and less code to read the response, so I
believe we should stick with that. phpMyAdmin requires PHP 5.2, and
since that version the extension for building JSON responses is part
of PHP core.

> For the AJAX calls, do I use the jQuery's $.get/$.post/$.ajax methods
> directly or should I build wrapper functions around them?

If this intermediate layer can be justified, why not.

--
Piotr Przybylski