[Phpmyadmin-devel] Maintaining non-js compatibility?

Garvin Hicking phpmyadmin at supergarv.de
Sun May 30 13:30:56 CEST 2010

Hi!

> In the phpMyAdmin 3.4 series, is it worth maintaining compatibility with
> non-js-enabled browsers?

I very much appreciate the current efforts of improving and ajaxifying
convenience features in phpMyAdmin and creating a more state-of-the-art
framework.

I think PMA has always been a backend tool where certain requirements like JS
can be made, so I don't think that much time should be spent on non-js
fallbacks, as they are mostly very cumbersome to implement.

What I would like to mention to pay attention on is to still make phpMyAdmin be
able to work in "multiple instances", so that I can open several tabs in my
browser to do their separated work. Like clicking the "Edit row" link of a table
to load the edit-data screen in multiple tabs, then cycle through them and save.

Typo3, as an example for a JS-heavy framework, doesn't really (easily) allow
such multi-tab usage. So links on items should IMHO always respect isolated tabs
and make it possible to Shift-Click. "onclick" handlers for example make it hard
to spawn the underlying function in a new tab instead of the current one.

(I hope you all get what I'm talking about ;-) )

Regards,
Garvin

--
++ Garvin Hicking | Web-Entwickler [PHP] | www.garv.in | ICQ 21392242