[Phpmyadmin-devel] need help understanding what happened with a merge
michal at cihar.com
Tue Nov 30 10:50:53 CET 2010
Dne Mon, 29 Nov 2010 19:52:50 +0100
Dieter Adriaenssens <dieter.adriaenssens at gmail.com> napsal(a):
> I was looking to solve a bug , and found some differences between
> master and QA_3_3 (where QA_3_3 seemed correct). I wondered why it was
> changed and found that the change was introduced by a merge I did 
> : commit 20a402ba29776f2ed1ba3122e48df98bfc11cafe
> But what's strange about this commit is that it seems to merge two
> commits. One of mine, where I solved a bug (diff1 ) and another one
> (diff2 ), where the reported bug  is introduced.
It merges just two commits - 7a23444 366d50a, both of them pretty
> When I try to figure out where this commit comes from, I only find it
> was committed by me. But I'm quite sure I didn't. Moreover because
> that commit changes a lot of files, and I changed only ChangeLog and
I guess you just misunderstood diff1 and diff2 links in gitweb - diff1
shows diff of first commit in merge to merge commit, so that is
git diff 7a23444..20a402b
git diff 366d50a..20a402b
The first diff actually means diff of old master HEAD to new master
HEAD, the only difference being your merge commit.
The second one shows difference between QA_3_3 (which you were
merging) and new master HEAD. What means it shows all changes made for
3.4, what is indeed huge diff.
To find guilty commit it is better to use git blame:
git blame server_status.php
...and I guess it is mine bc97eaeb.
Michal Čihař | http://cihar.com | http://blog.cihar.com
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 836 bytes
Desc: not available
More information about the Developers