[Phpmyadmin-devel] Drizzle compatibility and demo server

Michal Čihař michal at cihar.com
Thu Oct 21 11:22:06 CEST 2010

Hi

Dne Thu, 21 Oct 2010 04:55:19 -0400
Marc Delisle <marc at infomarc.info> napsal(a):

> I think that current phpMyAdmin's code is too MySQL-oriented and that
> this product should remain an interface for MySQL only. Another point is
> the "My" in phpMyAdmin and the signal it gives to the community.

Th "MySQL only" has already one problem called MariaDB :-).

> I have nothing against Drizzle but I think that the phpMyAdmin team
> should remain focussed on MySQL. Anybody can fork the phpMyAdmin's code
> to take another direction but I certainly do not have free time to be
> part of this other team.

We definitely should clearly state what we want to support and what
not. MySQL, MariaDB and Drizzle still share fair amount of code and
they all use same binary protocol and quite similar SQL language, so
they are not that different.

MariaDB adds some features compared to MySQL (some of that will be part
of future MySQL releases, but some not), do we want to support these?

The most important changes for Drizzle would be actually do disable
some functions, which are not present there (like the charset/collation
thing I've pushed to git, though maybe too fast).

Indeed aiming at full compatibility with Drizzle for 3.4 would not make
sense and would shift the release too far away. The only thing which
might make sense is to fix basic functionality, with no official
support for Drizzle.

PS: Some changes, which would be needed for full Drizzle support, will
be as well needed for upcoming MySQL features. Eg. Drizzle
authentication plugins and MySQL's pluggable authentication system
(well if that is ever going to be open sourced). But that's definitely
not something for near future.