[Phpmyadmin-devel] Incomplete translations in release

Michal Čihař michal at cihar.com
Tue Apr 5 13:55:50 CEST 2011

Hi

Dne Tue, 05 Apr 2011 07:03:42 -0400
Marc Delisle <marc at infomarc.info> napsal(a):

> Michal Čihař a écrit :
> > Hi
> >
> > cross posting this mail to both -devel and -translators.
> >
> > Currently we ship all translations with phpMyAdmin. I don't think it
> > really makes sense for languages where just few words are translated.
> > Now the question is where to set the threshold. I think the translation
> > should provide reasonable set of translated messages to be actually
> > useful.
> >
> > When requiring 50% of translation to be complete, the list of languages
> > would consist of 24:
>
> I'm not sure that using percentage reflects the usefulness. For example,
> looking at Afrikaans with 11149 words untranslated, in fact most words
> from "traditional" phpMyAdmin screens are translated.

Indeed percentage does not really measure usefulness. However having
translated only 16% of messages [*] IMHO provides quite poor user
experience.

Anyway what I definitely want to avoid distributing are languages with
almost none translations like currently have Malayam, Tamil or Telugu.

[*]: I'm not talking about words as Pootle shows them, because it is
really not necessary to have translated all the long descriptions for
status variables or privileges. For example the Afrikaans translation
has 9% of words translated, but 16% of messages.