[Phpmyadmin-devel] [Drizzle] Charset and Collation issue

Michal Čihař michal at cihar.com
Mon Apr 11 14:54:36 CEST 2011

Hi

Dne Fri, 8 Apr 2011 19:53:27 +0700
Azhari Harahap <azhari at harahap.us> napsal(a):

> I've been started to look at Drizzle compability with MySQL, and the
> first issue i got is the Charset and Collation
>
> I've been looking through Drizzle documentation and it said that
> currently Drizzle only support utf8 charset and collation. But as i
> seen the code on latest trunk, phpMyAdmin simply disable it rather
> than set it to utf8.
>
> As i tested on Drizzle7 2011.03.13, we can look at supported charset
> by query:
> SELECT * from DATA_DICTIONARY.CHARACTER_SETS; As replacement of SHOW
> CHARACTER SET; on MySQL

But it should report only utf-8 right?

> And for the collation:
> SELECT * from DATA_DICTIONARY.COLLATIONS; As replacement of SHOW
> COLLATION; on MySQL

This should be already used in master.

> But, the table structure is little bit confusing here, because in
> MySQL we can match the `Charset` field on both result, but in Drizzle
> i've to match `CHARACTER_SET_NAME` on charset result and `DESCRIPTION`
> on collation result.
>
> At least, now phpMyAdmin can show correct charset and collation on the
> Charsets menu.
> I already send patch for this issue [1]

You seem to be late, Piotr sent patch earlier and is was already merged.

> But, i got another issue, for example when submit Create table form,
> it thrown error "CHARACTER SET" because it's removed on Drizzle [1],
> but "COLLATE" seems to be supported [2]

Yes, there are definitely more such differences, that's why there is
GSoC project for this :-). If it would take just few hours to fix, it
would be already done.