[Phpmyadmin-devel] outdated md5 bug -- versions 3.3.0 - 3.3.3

Isaac Bennetch bennetch at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 19:55:51 CEST 2011


An IRC user reported some strange behavior with the MD5 function under 
the version 3.3.2 shipped with Ubuntu[1].

For instance, select md5('blah') is returning 
3666316564303032616235353935383539303134656266303935313532326439 instead 
of 6f1ed002ab5595859014ebf0951522d9. I also tested a few other strings, 
which aren't worth copying and pasting here other than to say they are 
also incorrect.

I did some work with git and found it affects the officially distributed 
versions 3.3.0, 3.3.1, and 3.3.2 (and was then fixed for 3.3.3).

Since it's been fixed for several releases, I don't think anything needs 
to be done about it, but I haven't seen any bug reports or commit 
messages about it and thought it should be mentioned.

To reproduce under any of 3.3.0, 3.3.1, or 3.3.2 go to the SQL query 
window, run the query "select md5('blah')" and compare the result to the 
same query run from the command line (or a non-affected pma instance).


1 - my Debian box would want to install !

More information about the Developers mailing list