[Phpmyadmin-devel] backquotes in SQL query

Piotr Przybylski piotr.prz at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 14:01:58 CEST 2011

2011/8/16 Michal Čihař <michal at cihar.com>:
> Hi
>
> Dne Tue, 16 Aug 2011 10:49:02 +0200
> Dieter Adriaenssens <dieter.adriaenssens at gmail.com> napsal(a):
>
>> I noticed Piotr removed back quotes from a few fields in an SQL query.
>> They were fixed strings (no variables), so they don't really need
>> escaping, but I was under the impression that it is good practice to
>> add back quotes to every field/table/database name in a SQL query, not
>> only the dynamic ones?
>
> It is usually good practice to avoid problems in case future MySQL
> versions will introduce new keywords.

I removed backquotes which were added by passing literal strings to
PMA_backquote, as it only made reading code more difficult, and
removed one case of passing aggregate SQL expression in ORDER BY
clause to it. Personally, I use them only when necessary as shorter
queries are more readable to me. If we want to use backquotes, their
usage should be consistent.

--
Piotr Przybylski