[Phpmyadmin-devel] backquotes in SQL query

Dieter Adriaenssens dieter.adriaenssens at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 18:54:05 CEST 2011

Hi,

I'm in favor of using backquotes consistently for all
field/table/database names.
If we're doing it for dynamic ones, why not for literal strings. (it
makes the query look messy when they are mixed)
I don't agree that omitting the back quotes makes the query shorter
and hence better readable. A few back-ticks (2 per fieldname) will not
make your query very much longer. Upside of having the back ticks is
better visual way of distinguishing field names from values or
keywords (which should be in capitals in my opinion, also for better
readability).
But I think he meant that having a query full of PMA_backquote() makes
it more difficult to read, not really the presence of back ticks. ;)

I think SQL purists dislike more things about the (My)SQL dialect. ;)

But this is the way MySQL puts it forward (doing a mysqldump adds
backticks to field/table/database names), and so far phpMyAdmin is a
project that serves as a front end for MySQL (and derivatives).

My few cents.

Kind regards,

Dieter

2011/8/16 Piotr Przybylski <piotr.prz at gmail.com>:
> 2011/8/16 Michal Čihař <michal at cihar.com>:
>> Hi
>>
>> Dne Tue, 16 Aug 2011 10:49:02 +0200
>> Dieter Adriaenssens <dieter.adriaenssens at gmail.com> napsal(a):
>>
>>> I noticed Piotr removed back quotes from a few fields in an SQL query.
>>> They were fixed strings (no variables), so they don't really need
>>> escaping, but I was under the impression that it is good practice to
>>> add back quotes to every field/table/database name in a SQL query, not
>>> only the dynamic ones?
>>
>> It is usually good practice to avoid problems in case future MySQL
>> versions will introduce new keywords.
>
> I removed backquotes which were added by passing literal strings to
> PMA_backquote, as it only made reading code more difficult, and
> removed one case of passing aggregate SQL expression in ORDER BY
> clause to it. Personally, I use them only when necessary as shorter
> queries are more readable to me. If we want to use backquotes, their
> usage should be consistent.
>
> --
> Piotr Przybylski

Groetjes,