[Phpmyadmin-devel] Commit notifications

Michal Čihař michal at cihar.com
Sat Feb 12 21:39:37 CET 2011

Hi

Dne Sat, 12 Feb 2011 11:17:37 +0100
Dieter Adriaenssens <dieter.adriaenssens at gmail.com> napsal(a):

> I saw your blogpost [0] about this. I agree that having to provide an
> E-mail sending script to an external website, would potentially cause
> a lot of security breaches, or vehicles for sending spam.
> I like the E-mail notifications of the commits, it keeps me informed
> of new commits and what's being commited, and I'm sure other
> developers like this too. So I also would like to see it re-enabled
> one way or the other, be it by an external script, SF.net allowing
> sending E-mails from the gitserver again, or even hosting the
> repository on another server.

What I don't like is that they are pushing their problem to the users -
now every project would have to take care of sending of notification
emails. I think this is simply wrong as any possible problem could be
much better handled in the infrastructure than by using arbitrary hacks
which will every project introduce.

> But I think that this last option should be a last resort. SF.net
> provides a lot of tools for managing a project, so having to set it up
> on our own, or transferring everything to another provider would take
> quite some work and effort.

Yes is is definitely last resort solution. In case we can only move
git hosting elsewhere, what would definitely not be that hard.

Anyway filing new ticket because the official documentation still
contains not working script to do the notifications and I will try to
add mailing list to CC.

--
	Michal Čihař | http://cihar.com | http://phpmyadmin.cz