[Phpmyadmin-devel] Interested in project ideas for GSoC 2011

Marc Delisle marc at infomarc.info
Mon Jan 31 16:36:22 CET 2011

Madhura Jayaratne a écrit :
> Hi All,
>
> When I was looking at the 'Idea List' for GSoC 2011, I came across two
> project ideas that interest me. I would like to know more about these
> ideas, so I would be able to focus on one specific project idea.
>
> The first project idea I'm interested in is 'OpenGIS support' [1]
> <http://wiki.phpmyadmin.net/pma/GSoC_2011_Ideas_List#OpenGIS_support>.
> As a first step I went through the MySQL documentation on 'Spacial
> Extension' [2]
> <http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/spatial-extensions.html>. I
> would like to know a rough outline of the features that is expected to
> be implemented under OpenGIS support.

Maybe you noticed that nobody offered to mentor this one so its fate if
more uncertain. In general, I think it's up to you to propose the
features that would make sense in a GUI like phpMyAdmin.

> The second project idea that caught my interest is 'phpMyAdmin_OOP' [3]
> <http://wiki.phpmyadmin.net/pma/GSoC_2011_Ideas_List#phpMyAdmin_OOP>. Undoubtedly,
> when implemented this would help the life of developers much easy. I
> would like to know the expected scope of this project. Further I would
> appreciate if you could direct me to any articles or documentation I
> should read with regard to this.

The expected scope is not to rewrite all of phpMyAdmin in OOP. You'll
have to pick some part of the source code that needs refactoring then
OOPing; a part big enough to make sense in a 12 weeks x 40 hours
project. Sorry but the exact scope of this has to be determined by the
student and we'll evaluate if this makes sense.

I found that this book has interesting views about this process:
http://www.manning.com/reiersol/