[Phpmyadmin-devel] Interested in project ideas for GSoC 2011

Madhura Jayaratne madhura.cj at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 18:07:23 CET 2011

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 9:03 PM, Michal Čihař <michal at cihar.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Dne Mon, 31 Jan 2011 11:21:24 +0530
> Madhura Jayaratne <madhura.cj at gmail.com> napsal(a):
>
> > When I was looking at the 'Idea List' for GSoC 2011, I came across two
> > project ideas that interest me. I would like to know more about these
> ideas,
> > so I would be able to focus on one specific project idea.
>
> That's only ideas list, it's up to you to come with proposal for GSoC
> and we then choose only the best proposals.
>
> > The first project idea I'm interested in is 'OpenGIS support'
> > [1]<http://wiki.phpmyadmin.net/pma/GSoC_2011_Ideas_List#OpenGIS_support
> >.
> > As a first step I went through the MySQL documentation on 'Spacial
> > Extension' [2]<
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/spatial-extensions.html>.
> > I would like to know a rough outline of the features that is expected to
> be
> > implemented under OpenGIS support.
>
> At least editing and displaying types nicely. Adding some search
> interface would be handy as well.
>
> Hi Michal,

Thanks for the clarifications.

I will research more on data types, functions of OpenGIS to get a thorough
understanding on them. Meanwhile I'll come up with a set of features for the
GSoC proposal based on the suggestions you made.

Further I will submit patche(s) as proof of concept for one or two small
features I wish to implement under GSoC.

P.S: Thanks for coming up as the mentor for this project idea. :)

--
Thanks and Regards,

Madhura Jayaratne