[Phpmyadmin-devel] PMA Icon Spritify

Tyron Madlener tyronx at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 15:42:49 CEST 2011

On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 4:25 PM, Marc Delisle <marc at infomarc.info> wrote:
> Le 2011-07-15 03:41, Tyron Madlener a écrit :
>> Hi, I've got a huge patch ready. In my branch 'sprites' I have
>> replaced the majority of all pma icons with sprites. This gives us the
>> following advantages
>>
>> - In a few tests I saw that the overall amount of GET requests now has
>> been reduced by 20-33% depending on the loaded page
>> - In the process I removed all width/height attributes, and instead
>> moving this style related property into the stylesheet file. This will
>> also allow for much greater flexibility for theme makers.
>> - The code altogether is easier to read. No more theme path required
>> anymore. Example:
>
> Tyron,
> about removing $cfg['ThemePath'], I have a small objection (small
> because I appreciate your work but we have to think about others).
>
> The ThemePath is configurable to allow anyone (a distro, a sysadmin) to
> use a chosen directory containing themes. Can we keep this flexibility
> and still use sprites?

No no, I didn't propose to remove $cfg['ThemePath']. It's just not
required any more when using icon sprites, because the theme path is
already supplied in the css file. So it does require it, but you don't
have to supply it for every icon you add.

It would just be helpful to have dot.gif at a static place, since it
will always stay the same, no matter how the theme is built