[Phpmyadmin-devel] Grid editing versus Inline edit

Aris Feryanto aris_feryanto at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 22 18:18:01 CEST 2011

----- Original Message -----

> From: Marc Delisle <marc at infomarc.info>
>
> Le 2011-07-22 10:11, Aris Feryanto a écrit :

I'll try to provide these two options for the user to choose:
- auto-save (with/without confirmation)
- save all edited cells at once

>>>  I'm also wondering about the "Edit mode". Why not just
> enter edit
>>>  when someone clicks on data? I know that, currently, clicking on
>>>  data produces row marking and ticks the checkbox, but this could be
>>>  improved. After all, the most probable intention from a user (with
>>>  a spreadsheet knowledge) clicking on data is to edit it.
>>
>>  When I made this "Edit mode", I was thinking about clicking data
> with
>>  a link, for example foreign key in InnoDb table. We may expect to go
>>  to the data associated with the foreign value when clicking the link,
>>  don't we?
>
> Yes. With the current way you are tracking the mouse inside a cell (and
> display the down arrow), edit mode is needed.
>
> Is is possible to not have an edit mode; then the user, clicking on a
> data link, would follow the link, but clicking anywhere in the cell
> would put this cell in edit mode?

Yes, it is possible. I'll try it. Regarding the data link, how about this: clicking everything in a cell will open the edit box + edit area (area below the drop-down edit box), but if the cell contains link, we provide that link in edit area to really open the link. (Just like clicking on a "link" cell in Google Docs)

--
Aris Feryanto