[Phpmyadmin-devel] Query analyzer

Tyron Madlener tyronx at gmail.com
Sat Jul 30 20:05:38 CEST 2011

On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 8:16 PM, Marc Delisle <marc at infomarc.info> wrote:
> Le 2011-07-30 12:58, Tyron Madlener a écrit :

>>> As mentioned in the Instructions dialog you will need to first setup
>>> logging then select a time span in any of the charts. This will open a
>>> dialog that let's you load the logs.
>
> I admit I had not read all the "Using the monitor" explanation, but I
> have a suggestion. The second paragraph starting with "When you get to
> see..." should have a bold title like "Displaying queries for a time
> span". This would have got my attention better.

Ok, I've changed the whole paragraph to:
"To display queries from the logs, select the relevant time span on
any chart by holding down the left mouse button and panning over the
chart. Once confirmed, this will load a table of grouped queries,
there you may click on any occuring SELECT statements to further
analyze them."

This is shorter and should be more clear, I hope :)

>>> Might be worth considering to open the same dialog through a link at
>>> the top right to the instructions link.
>>
>> Or I could add a notice below the charts advising the users to select
>> a time span.
>
> Could be useful but users should have read the instructions :)

If we can lead the user to use the tool correctly in a subtle way,
it's definitely better I think. Only question is whether a notice box
below the charts is subtle enough ;-)
I'll leave it as it is for now and we just observe how many users don't find it.

> Another suggestion: near the "Disable" links for the logs, add links to
> disable and empty the logs in one click, unless you find this too dangerous.

Yea I was also thinking of adding a link to empty the table. Combining
that with a log disable is a good idea too.

Thanks for having a look at my work.