[Phpmyadmin-devel] Show/hide column feature

Marc Delisle marc at infomarc.info
Sat Jun 25 13:21:49 CEST 2011

Le 2011-06-24 14:53, Tyron Madlener a écrit :
> On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 7:04 PM, Aris
> Feryanto<aris_feryanto at yahoo.com>  wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>> I've just pushed my commits for show/hide column feature. If you
>> have some time, please give it a try at [0] and let me know if you
>> have any comment or suggestion.
>>
>> When you are testing, please note that the feature still lack of
>> some things: - column visibility list drop-down arrows are shown in
>> "too many" places when display mode = vertical AND repeatCells =
>> small number - the hide (small X) button is sometimes annoying,
>> especially when we want to sort a small column (e.g., usually ID).
>> I've tried to resize all columns using jQuery to properly display
>> the "hide" button next to the column label. But, unfortunately, it
>> is quite slow. Any other suggestion? Should we remove the "hide"
>> button?
>>
>> [0] http://demo.phpmyadmin.net/gsoc-aris
>>

> Looks good, but how about you put "CTRL + Click to hide" into the
> tooltip and remove the X button therefore? Otherwise theres many
> features within a really small space, that way its getting difficult
> to select the right one.

Aris,
I am in favor of removing the X button. On the positive side, it's a
quick way to hide a column but after it's hidden, the user wonders how
to put it back. If you give to the user the idea that some action
directly in the column can hide it, his mind is set in the wrong track
about how to restore the column.

> Also I think it would be enough to add one button that resets column
> order and show/hide state, instead of 2 separate ones.

I'm not sure about this; the ideas are different.

About the arrow selector in the big T cell, how about some hint showed
to the user?

In this selector, there could be also a "(all)" checkbox on top, which
is something standard to see on top of a series of checkboxes; if you go
this way, the button in navigation might not be needed.