[Phpmyadmin-devel] GSoG 2011: Reg Zoom-search idea

Ammar Yasir ammaryasir.88 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 11:14:13 CET 2011

On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 3:02 PM, Marc Delisle <marc at infomarc.info> wrote:

> Le 2011-03-19 17:35, Ammar Yasir a écrit :
> > On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 2:00 AM, Marc Delisle <marc at infomarc.info>
> wrote:

> such
> >> as
> user
> >> is
> >> search
> >> page
> >>
> >> (Please do not top-post, conversations are difficult to follow).
> >>
> >> I was referring to the Table Search page because we'll have to avoid
> >> duplicating the same functionality on many pages.
> >>
> >> You are right, the table Search page displays all the columns in "query
> >> by example" but in its Options hidden panel you can choose the columns
> >> that will be displayed. I think that this behavior could be improved by
> >> adding a way to quickly hide or show which columns are to receive a
> >> search criterion.
> >>
> >> I think that we can reduce some fields by combining elements from the
> table
> > search page and those from the options hidden pane. The table search form
> > provides appropriate operations for each column and in options panel we
> can
> > select columns but it just provides a textbox to enter the body of the
> WHERE
> > clause.
> >
> > As in this case we are only interested in selecting one of the columns,
> > initially we can just have a list of columns and then when a user clicks
> on
> > one of the columns, the appropriate operations available for that column
> > appear. This reduces some of the fields on the screen.
>
> This should work but the user needs to select two columns, not just one.
>
> We can put a constant on the number of search criteria to 2, so you'll have
to select exactly two columns.

One more thing, can the two columns be from different tables also. Like for
example, for a house auction database:
There is a 'house' table (neighborhood,address,no_of_rooms,plot_size....)
and a sales table (selling_price,date_sold,....)
and the user might want to see a visualization of plot_size vs
selling_price.

Do you think I am going off the project idea? This would involve using
underlying relationship between the house table and sales table and it would
be fairly complex to develop such system.