[Phpmyadmin-devel] GSoG 2011: Reg Zoom-search idea

Marc Delisle marc at infomarc.info
Sun Mar 20 11:24:12 CET 2011

Le 2011-03-20 06:14, Ammar Yasir a écrit :
> On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 3:02 PM, Marc Delisle <marc at infomarc.info> wrote:
>
>> Le 2011-03-19 17:35, Ammar Yasir a écrit :

>> such
>> user

>> table
>>> search page and those from the options hidden pane. The table search form
>>> provides appropriate operations for each column and in options panel we
>> can
>>> select columns but it just provides a textbox to enter the body of the
>> WHERE
>>> clause.
>>>
>>> As in this case we are only interested in selecting one of the columns,
>>> initially we can just have a list of columns and then when a user clicks
>> on
>>> one of the columns, the appropriate operations available for that column
>>> appear. This reduces some of the fields on the screen.
>>
>> This should work but the user needs to select two columns, not just one.
>>
>> We can put a constant on the number of search criteria to 2, so you'll have
> to select exactly two columns.
>
> One more thing, can the two columns be from different tables also. Like for
> example, for a house auction database:
> There is a 'house' table (neighborhood,address,no_of_rooms,plot_size....)
> and a sales table (selling_price,date_sold,....)
> and the user might want to see a visualization of plot_size vs
> selling_price.
>
> Do you think I am going off the project idea? This would involve using
> underlying relationship between the house table and sales table and it would
> be fairly complex to develop such system.

Yes it could. I'm not saying that this project has to support this, however.

Do you know about the multi-tables query generator? You click on a
database name, then Query. This has been there for many years and in
version 3.4 there is a visual mode. This feature generates the
multi-table query, based on existing relations (only from internal
relations, sadly not yet for Innodb-style relations, see FAQ 3.6).

Can we conclude that whatever way is used to generate the query, the
zoom-search mode could be used when we have a results set containing two
columns?