[Phpmyadmin-devel] Fwd: GSoC 2011 OOP : Want to join and help in bug fixin

Piyush Mishra me at piyushmishra.com
Sun Mar 20 12:26:30 CET 2011

On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 4:34 PM, Dieter Adriaenssens <
dieter.adriaenssens at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Piyush,
>
> Your SF.net E-mail address doesn't seem to work (yet), so I send my
> answer to your mail (see below) to the developers mailing list. I hope
> you are subscribed to it.
>
> I am :)

> Kind regards,
>
> Dieter

rewrite of the code base. Now I feel more confident that I'll be able to do
it :)

> > What version of php are you planning to use for the new OO
> > phpMyAdmin? (I have made a half-baked front controller
> > framework on php 5.3.x, trying to use dependency injections)
>
> At this moment, phpMyAdmin 3.3 (and upcoming 3.4) should work on 5.2
> or higher, so you cannot use things that are only present in 5.3 or
> higher.
> You might want to take a look at this article about design patterns :
> http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/os-php-designptrns
>
> I have read PHP Objects Patterns and Practice (3rd Edition) by Matt
Zandstra and was trying to implement what I learnt in my framework.
https://github.com/piyushmishra/sambhuti (Its not meant to be used by anyone
right now so code is with no documentation and without any specific coding
style, I'll clean that up next weekend perhaps)

> > Currently, I am trying to familiarize myself with the
> > codebase of phpMyAdmin and may be help fix some bugs along
> > the way.
>
> Good, it is a requirement to fix some bugs before the end of the
> application period, so that we can see how you work and if you
> understand the phpmyadmin codebase.
>
> > I am new to sourceforge (am familiar with git though) and
> > phpMyAdmin also.
> > I have used it and have been bitten by a particular bug and
> > would like to try fix it.
> >
> https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2107746&group_id=23067&atid=377408
>
> Go ahead, post a message on the tracker you will be taking this bug
> on, and submit your solution on the patch tracker (as is described in
> FAQ 7.3 :
> http://www.phpmyadmin.net/documentation/Documentation.html#faq7_3)
>
> > I have added you on facebook.
>
> I'm not going to add you, I only use Facebook for close friends, I
> hope you understand.

Yes I do completely. I hadn't found you on SF and this mailing list when I
had sent that request. Now that I have a way to communicate, its not really
necessary. :)

Good luck with GSoC and with submitting your application.

> Kind regards,
>
> Dieter

Regards
Piyush Mishra