[Phpmyadmin-devel] GSOC: Support for procedures

Samiran Raj Boro srajbr at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 17:16:55 CET 2011

I have experimented with the current capability of phpmyadmin with stored
procedures, triggers, routines and events. As this project aim to create an
user friendly interface in phpmyadmin I have some ideas to improve it and
also some questions.

Currently phpmyadmin supports the above mention features of mysql only with
sql queries. While creating procedures with ";" in between delimiter have to
be changed. My view is why the user have to take care of it. We can pass
some default delimiter to PMA_sqlQueryForm with the delimiter added to our
query. So for that I suggest to create separate query box to deal with those
things and this would be in a tab "Routines" for each database. It can even
be better if we display the list of routines in the database page (the page
one gets by selecting a database) and also the names of the trigger
associated with a table when we browse it.

Again as ALTER PROCEDURE<http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/alter-procedure.html>,
ALTER FUNCTION <http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/alter-function.html>does
not allow us to change the parameters or the body, we can make a
interface to change its parameters and body. We can program such a way it
automatically drops it and create it with the same name with the modified
changes.

Are my ideas meet the needs of phpmyadmin. Please let me know and suggest to
make it better.

With regards,
Samiran Raj Boro
SF nickname: srajbr <https://sourceforge.net/users/srajbr>