[Phpmyadmin-devel] GSoC Idea: Improved Status Page with Statistics

Tyron Madlener tyronx at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 21:05:06 CET 2011

Hello fellow developers,

I am a pre-graduate Student at the Technical University of Vienna /
Austria and I would enjoy to join the GSoC 2011 Program.
PHPMyAdmin has become my tool of the trade for managing my website
databases. I've been using it for over a decade and grew to love
working with it.

I sometimes missed a feature to see how much load the MySQL Server
receives. The phpmyadmin status page unfortunately only shows current
and total values. So my proposal is:

- Instead of using anchor links put all runtime information groups
into jquery-tabs where users can click through.
- Using the recently added pchart libarary, implement a bunch of
charts to give a graphical history of the
  - amount of queries
  - traffic load
  - amount of concurrent connections
- In the process adjust the current chart color to fit with the
currently selected theme (That snake-green over the gray color of
pmahomme looks rather odd ;).
- Improve look & feel of the status page where applicable

Unfortunately making such charts would probably require the user to
install some sort of cronjob and we have to store a history of records
to make the charts. So it either would need to pollute the mysql
database with a table or we store it in a text file.
Despite those 2 configuration annoyances it would be a useful addition
nonetheless, I think. After all, we can just hide everything behind a
small "Enable server load recording"-Link where you can set up the
recording.

I am a great fan of building statistics and speeding up websites using
AJAX so I'd love to hear your Ideas to my proposal or anything that is
related to it. I could need a few more tasks :-)

I have seen that you require GSoC applicants to be developers of
phpmyadmin, so I will go and check if there's anything in the tracker
that I can fix or build within the next days.

P.S.: Your changelog
(http://www.phpmyadmin.net/documentation/changelog.php) linked from
(http://www.phpmyadmin.net/home_page/docs.php) seems to be broken.

Thanks for your time!