[Phpmyadmin-devel] OpenGIS and Flot

Madhura Jayaratne madhura.cj at gmail.com
Wed May 18 14:31:15 CEST 2011

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 4:23 PM, Tyron Madlener <tyronx at gmail.com> wrote:

> Madhura Jayaratne is implementing his OpenGIS project with flot, the
> jquery plotting library.
>
> Will this library be included in pma releases in the future? If yes, I
> would also use flot for the charts on the status page. It seems more
> clever to generate the graphs on the client, rather than creating png
> files on the server and transfer them. It would reduce server load and
> allows for a lot more possibilities on the client-side.

Hi Tyron,

I did it as a test run and it is not finalized. Unfortunately I can't get
flot to draw polygons with inner rings and that was a dead end for me. So
right now I'm looking into generating all the GIS visualizations with SVG.
In particular I am trying to generate them with jQuery-SVG.

Well, I agree that flot makes the life very easy for developers and the
graphs are rich in quality. However you get less control over the plot. For
example with SVG, I can manipulate each elements in the plot, but in flot
that ability is limited to few events they have exposed. I'm not sure how
this applies in your case, you might not want to manipulate it at all.

--
Thanks and Regards,

Madhura Jayaratne