[Phpmyadmin-devel] Javascript

Marc Delisle marc at infomarc.info
Sat May 21 12:38:47 CEST 2011

Le 2011-05-20 16:24, Tyron Madlener a écrit :
> First of all: I hope I'm not too annoying with all my
> suggestions/questions. Otherwise let me know. My mind is always filled
> with random ideas ;)
>
> I'd like to spark some discussion about noscript-support, particularly
> after I read that it was a feature suggestion for phpMyAdmin 3 over 3
> years ago (http://wiki.phpmyadmin.net/pma/phpMyAdmin_3).
>
> I don't know the numbers, but I would assume that nowadays, the
> percentage of pma users that do not have javascript on must be very
> low. If there's uncertainty about it, maybe we could start some
> survey/poll on the phpmyadmin site? (I would offer myself to build it)
>>From what I can see in the global trends, is that the amount of
> non-javascript users has been steadily decreasing, with current
> statistics talking about only 1-3% of internet users having javascript
> disabled.
>
> It feels like a clear disadvantage to me needing to always consider
> non-javascript users, ending up with programming every feature twice
> where I could program twice the amount of features instead ;)
>
> Having said this, does pma really need noscript-support?

I would say no. Anyway, looking at the development done for 3.4, the
trend is to avoid inline js. We are now supposed to use jQuery to make
visible a link or button that brings the user to a feature that requires js.

Note that 3.3 and 3.4 have problems with this. For example, Synchronize
should not be shown to non-js users. Clearly, testing on non-js browsers
has not been our priority.