[Phpmyadmin-devel] Merging server pages

Dieter Adriaenssens dieter.adriaenssens at gmail.com
Mon May 30 14:58:59 CEST 2011

2011/5/30 Piotr Przybylski <piotr.prz at gmail.com>:
> 2011/5/30 Tyron Madlener <tyronx at gmail.com>:
>> I'd like to merge some of the server pages, so that we have a smaller
>> menu and less links ending up in the 'More' tab.
>>
>> What I have done already is put the processes table into the status
>> page as it fits very well into the server traffic (jquery-)tab.
>> And secondly I would merge together Engines, Charsets, Replication and
>> Variables into a (jquery-)tab-separated page named "Configuration"
>>
>> Since an average user rarely requires the information supplied on
>> those pages I think it is a good idea to free up the space in the menu
>> bar. Any objections on this? :)
>
> All links fit with 1440px wide screens (unless you are root and see
> all tabs, then you need 1600px). I think moving all these tabs deeper
> into navigation structure is pointless.
>
> While Processes can go there (they are related to server's current,
> live status), Variables, Engines and Charsets are about global
> configuration and don't change during server's operation. I think they
> should stay where they are now.

Processes could go to the status page, but this would have to be well
communicated. I think this page is used quite often, so moving it to
another tab will cause confusion.

IMO, the Variables, Engines and Charsets page are used less
frequently, at least I don't check them that much.
I think they make a better candidate to be grouped together in a
'Configuration' (or another name) tab, to make room in the tab bar.

Replication doesn't belong in this group and should still be available
as a separate tab.

Kind regards,

Dieter

> --