[Phpmyadmin-devel] about drizzle.dbi.lib.php

Dieter Adriaenssens dieter.adriaenssens at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 16:57:27 CET 2011

2011/11/12 Dieter Adriaenssens <dieter.adriaenssens at gmail.com>:
> 2011/11/12 Piotr Przybylski <piotr.prz at gmail.com>:
>> 2011/11/11 Marc Delisle <marc at infomarc.info>:
>>> Piotr,
>>>
>>> In this file I read:
>>> ================
>>> WARNING - EXPERIMENTAL, never use in production, drizzle module
>>> segfaults often and when you least expect it to
>>>
>>> * TODO: This file and drizzle-wrappers.lib.php should be devoid of any
>>> segault related hacks.
>>>  * TODO: Crashing versions of drizzle module and/or libdrizzle should
>>> be blacklisted
>>> ================
>>>
>>> Taking this warning into account, what's your opinion about releasing
>>> Drizzle support in 3.5.0?
>>>

>> Drizzle works well with MySQL protocol, so we can officially support it.
>>
>> As for Drizzle-specific dbi file, I think it should stay where it is
>> and be released. For now undocumented so that people who don't know
>> what they are doing don't spam us that Drizzle crashes their server.
>> It generally works, but with a little hack that I placed in
>> drizzle-wrappers.lib.php (flushing in shutdown function) due to
>> Apache/PHP segfaulting after most requests. When somebody fixes PHP
>> extension it should be safe to remove all warnings and just use it
>> (appropriate bug reports are filed and by now known by Drizzle
>> developers [1]).

What do you mean by warnings? If someone sets drizzle as connection
type, does it show a message on main screen explaining the problem
with the php drizzle extension?
If not, I think we should add an warning/explanation to the
Documentation or FAQ explaining the problem and suggesting to use the
mysql/mysqli connection type when connecting to a drizzle database,
until further notice. This to avoid that if someone tries to use the
'undocumented' drizzle connection type, they don't have a clue why.

Kind regards,

Dieter