[Phpmyadmin-devel] about drizzle.dbi.lib.php

Piotr Przybylski piotr.prz at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 21:29:00 CET 2011

2011/11/14 Dieter Adriaenssens <dieter.adriaenssens at gmail.com>:
> 2011/11/12 Dieter Adriaenssens <dieter.adriaenssens at gmail.com>:

>>> Drizzle works well with MySQL protocol, so we can officially support it.
>>>
>>> As for Drizzle-specific dbi file, I think it should stay where it is
>>> and be released. For now undocumented so that people who don't know
>>> what they are doing don't spam us that Drizzle crashes their server.
>>> It generally works, but with a little hack that I placed in
>>> drizzle-wrappers.lib.php (flushing in shutdown function) due to
>>> Apache/PHP segfaulting after most requests. When somebody fixes PHP
>>> extension it should be safe to remove all warnings and just use it
>>> (appropriate bug reports are filed and by now known by Drizzle
>>> developers [1]).
>
> What do you mean by warnings? If someone sets drizzle as connection
> type, does it show a message on main screen explaining the problem
> with the php drizzle extension?

Server logs - with current drizzle PHP extension it will segfault (a
lot). Our code (drizzle.dbi.lib.php) is stable and working, dedicated
PHP extension is not.

> If not, I think we should add an warning/explanation to the
> Documentation or FAQ explaining the problem and suggesting to use the
> mysql/mysqli connection type when connecting to a drizzle database,
> until further notice. This to avoid that if someone tries to use the
> 'undocumented' drizzle connection type, they don't have a clue why.

I haven't thought about that - it may be a good solution. I would like
to support Drizzle using its native PHP extension in next phpMyAdmin
release, but do it in a way which would make users aware that current
PHP extension (not our dbi library) is unstable.

--
Piotr Przybylski