[Phpmyadmin-devel] Submitting patches

J.M. me at mynetx.net
Mon Apr 9 00:36:56 CEST 2012

> Hi,
>
> I'm sorry for being yet not submitted any patches, but I'm so busy having
> exams since the SoC registration opened.
> I'm checking bug tracker now to fix some bugs, but I need  help on how to
> prepare the patch, and how to submit it, I couldn't find any post/submit tab
> on patch tracker, or any writing/coding rules on how to make a patch.
> On the developer wiki, it is said that some bugs are for juniors who don't
> have knowledge with the code base..then I need to read the code base anyway,
> right?
> Then, how and from where to start reading the code?
>
> Best Regards,,

Hi Ahmed,

Regarding how to submit patches

1. First of all, clone the phpMyAdmin Git repository (see [1]).
2. Make sure to set your Git username and email settings properly (see [2]).
3. Then, prepare your code changes as you normally would.
4. Next, commit the changes to go into your patch to your local repo clone.
5. Subsequently, tell git to create a patch for you (see [3]).
6. Last, send us your patch file (see [4]), or create a pull request at Github.
   About the "post/submit tab": There is a (very) small "Add new" link on top
   of the bug tracker. :)

[1] http://git.io/pma
[2] http://book.git-scm.com/2_setup_and_initialization.html
[3] http://schacon.github.com/git/git-format-patch.html
[4] https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=add&group_id=23067&atid=377410

About reading the code base, it’s best starting to scan through main.php (this
is the 2-column file showing the language and theme switchers and the server
versions you’re running) and the libraries folder—just to get a basic idea of
how phpMyAdmin works internally. For fixing small bugs, it’s usually best to
investigate the code in the files affected or loaded by the page that contains
the error.

--
mynetx (Jo Michael)