[Phpmyadmin-devel] wiki and configuration directives

Isaac Bennetch bennetch at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 00:13:17 CEST 2012

On Apr 19, 2012, at 4:33 PM, Rouslan Placella <rouslan at placella.com> wrote:

> On 19/04/12 22:27, Marc Delisle wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I realize that we should have discussed this at the last team meeting
>> but I just remembered this issue.
>>
>> I find it difficult and error-prone to document configuration directives
>> at two places: Documentation.html and the wiki [0].
>>
>> My suggestion is to remove it from the wiki.
>>
>> [0] http://wiki.phpmyadmin.net/pma/Config
>
> I agree, but we need to merge the two first. The wiki, for example,
> seems to contain some information about in which version the value for a
> particular variable has changed.
>
> Bye,
> Rouslan

While there is some extra information in the wiki, I don't know that tracking when something changed needs to be maintained painstakingly in Documentation.html. As I recall, adding that to the wiki was a workaround to deal with the fact that Documentation.html is always targeted at a specific release version. The wiki had to deal gracefully with multiple, and sometimes conflicting, configuration values. I'm all for merging the two; I try to keep the wiki updated from time to time but obviously that falls apart when I'm too busy.

I personally feel that documentation of configuration changes  belongs in the release notes rather than Documentation.html, but I'm pretty sure whatever solution you all find will be great.

Thanks