[Phpmyadmin-devel] wiki and configuration directives

Dieter Adriaenssens dieter.adriaenssens at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 15:23:09 CEST 2012

Kind regards,
Dieter Adriaenssens.
Op 20 apr. 2012 00:13 schreef "Isaac Bennetch" <bennetch at gmail.com> het
volgende:

> On Apr 19, 2012, at 4:33 PM, Rouslan Placella <rouslan at placella.com>
wrote:

> > On 19/04/12 22:27, Marc Delisle wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >> I realize that we should have discussed this at the last team meeting
> >> but I just remembered this issue.
> >>
> >> I find it difficult and error-prone to document configuration
directives
> >> at two places: Documentation.html and the wiki [0].
> >>
> >> My suggestion is to remove it from the wiki.
> >>
> >> [0] http://wiki.phpmyadmin.net/pma/Config
> >
> > I agree, but we need to merge the two first. The wiki, for example,
> > seems to contain some information about in which version the value for a
> > particular variable has changed.
> >
> > Bye,
> > Rouslan
>
> While there is some extra information in the wiki, I don't know that
tracking when something changed needs to be maintained painstakingly in
Documentation.html. As I recall, adding that to the wiki was a workaround
to deal with the fact that Documentation.html is always targeted at a
specific release version. The wiki had to deal gracefully with multiple,
and sometimes conflicting, configuration values. I'm all for merging the
two; I try to keep the wiki updated from time to time but obviously that
falls apart when I'm too busy.

> I personally feel that documentation of configuration changes  belongs in
the release notes rather than Documentation.html, but I'm pretty sure
whatever solution you all find will be great.

FYI : there is a third place where information/documentation about the
configuration options can be found, i.e. the libraries\config.Inc.php