[Phpmyadmin-devel] Report from Percona Live MySQL 2012 & Thanks to Yosun Chang

Marc Delisle marc at infomarc.info
Mon Apr 23 18:50:25 CEST 2012

Le 2012-04-23 02:33, Robin H. Johnson a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> This is my report back from the Percona MySQL conference.

Thanks for the report, Robin.

> Specific list of bugs & feature requests:
> - DB Designer and other tools that require the PMAdb to be created need
>   to be easier to get going. Maybe include the ability to specify your
>   MySQL root credentials and use them to create a database, import the
>   schema, create the PMA user?

How would the credentials of the control user be stored permanently in
config.inc.php?

See
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2163957&group_id=23067&atid=377411

> - It needs to be possible to put PMAdb on a different server. For if
>   you're connecting PMA to a readonly replication slave, and you cannot
>   save your bookmarks or query history.
> - Charts functionality is popular, but painful to use sometimes:
>   An example from the GIS sample data I was using:
>   Creating a chart of the population of regions of Mexico:
>   You have to create a view with name/population first, and chart that.
>   It was simply not doable with the base table.
> - User auth is still a holdback. There is demand for a transformation
>   function:
>   auth(user, password[, server[, token]]) does validation, and on success,
>   returns (mysqluser, mysqlpassword), which is used to connect to MySQL.
>   The transformation function should have some common variants, but also
>   be able to plug in something else custom (eg LDAP).

How about our "signon" auth feature?

> - Some users complained that the versions of PMA deployed by cpanel and
>   Rackspace are out-of-date and/or crippled. User management esp was
>   noted as crippled.

We have no control over this, have we?

> - Engine support: Tokutek asked about what was needed to get their
>   engine listed in the create table dropdown.

I don't remember reading any feature request about this.

> - Replication status: can we include the stats from the Maatkit/Percona
>   Toolkit heartbeat app, and/or possible other tools?

These are command-line tools so investigation has to be done about
interfacing them.

> - The DB Designer had some feature requests too:
> 	- Some rough attempt at an initial layout solution
> 	- Auto-save layout changes
> 	- Create table opening in a new tab
> - PR material needed: We've got the artwork material we used for the
>   banner in 2005, and the team shirts made at the same time, but not
>   much other selection of open-format vector artwork for usage in
>   conference programs and other promotional material. I've seen jpegs of
>   newer logo materials, but very little by way of vector source artwork.
>
> Negatives:
> - Our banner, originally printed for the first ever team meeting back at
>   LinuxTag 2005 in Karlsruhe, got lost at the end of this trip :-(.

This vinyl banner was printed a few years after the first team meeting,
for one of my trips to the MySQL Users conference in Santa Clara.