[Phpmyadmin-devel] Proposal for Remove frames

Dieter Adriaenssens dieter.adriaenssens at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 18:17:26 CET 2012

On 14/02/2012 13:50, Marc Delisle wrote:
> Le 2012-02-13 16:31, Dieter Adriaenssens a écrit :
>> Hi,
>>
>> I wrote a concept/proposal [0] to replace html frames, using a Page
>> class where all pages derive from.
>> The base Page class executes everything that is nececessary to load a
>> page (loading configuration, user authentication, parameter checking,
>> ...) and finally loading a page.
>> The derived classes override several specific sections.
>> I put it on the wiki [0].
>>
>> What do you think?
>>
>> BTW : This is still a concept. It still needs some finetuning. Comments
>> are welcome.
>>
>> BTW2 : I created a roadmap page for phpMyAdmin 4, basically copying the
>> section of the team meeting report.
>>
>> [0] http://wiki.phpmyadmin.net/pma/Remove_frames
>> [1] http://wiki.phpmyadmin.net/pma/phpMyAdmin_4
>
> Hi Dieter,
> This looks fine; I have a few questions.
>
> You mentioned server_databases.php as the starting page, but I guess it
> should be index.php because it's neutral and can be called to display
> any section?

At the point where server_databases.php is mentioned, I just picked a
random page name as an example. The default/start page should of course
be index.php, capable of building the entire page (navi + main) but I
wanted to point out that any section_subsection.php file would be able
to do this as well (but with the associated content of course).

I understand your confusion, I'll try to clarify the text.

> Why having section_subsection.php and section_subsection.inc.php, if the
> include file has stuff related to only this subsection?

The reason for the seperate inc.php file, is because the
section_subsection class that is defined in it, will not only be called
from the corresponding section_subsection.php file.
Thinking of it now, the section_subsection.inc.php files should be
section_subsection.Class.php instead.
I'm going to redefine this part of the proposal anyway. I'll add the use
of a factory [2] (design pattern) to instantiate the different page classes.

[2] http://www.oodesign.com/factory-pattern.html

--
Kind regards,

Dieter Adriaenssens