[Phpmyadmin-devel] Let's break master?

Marc Delisle marc at infomarc.info
Tue Feb 21 12:33:37 CET 2012

Le 2012-02-21 04:43, Michal Čihař a écrit :
> Hi
>
> all, I think we can agree on register globals being evil. So let's do
> radical breakage in master and remove ./libraries/grab_globals.lib.php.
> I know lot of things will get broken, but this is something what needs
> to be done for 4.0 and I think it should be done ASAP to prevent any
> new code using this.
>
> So I don't give you question whether to do this, but rather when to do
> this with possible rationale for the choice:
>
> - right now - anyway people should be using QA_3_5 so master breakage
>   should not matter
>
> - after releasing 3.5 - developers can focus on master after releasing
>   3.5
>
> - after releasing 3.5.1 - final release 3.5 will most likely bring lot
>   of bug reports, which will need to be fixed in 3.5.1

I think that right now is a good time, before we get too busy with 3.5.1.

What do you suggest? remove the library, add a big warning to demo and
then test everything?

Also, I suggest to get rid of $_REQUEST, because the origin of its
contents is unclear. Ideally, at every place where we refer to
$_REQUEST, a comment should explain the possible origin of the contents.