[Phpmyadmin-devel] Failing test

yasitha pandithawatta yasitha4 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 19:50:17 CEST 2012

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 8:09 PM, yasitha pandithawatta
<yasitha4 at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 7:18 PM, Michal Čihař <michal at cihar.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Dne Wed, 11 Jul 2012 18:50:45 +0530
>> yasitha pandithawatta <yasitha4 at gmail.com> napsal(a):
>>
>> > That is the way I am using too. But after 10 tests it keep waiting for
>> long
>> > time. Nothing happens.
>> > So I used to run files by files. That may the case I missed those
>> failures.
>>
>> Well yes, the test takes too long this way (it takes about 20 minutes on
>> ci.phpmyadmin.net). I have no clue why this happens, but it did not
>> happen few months ago (I think it started with some phpunit update,
>> AFAIR removing php-xdebug helped, but that's not a solution). In case
>> you would be able to figure out why does this happen, it would be great.
>> Otherwise we have to live with too long running testsuite.
>>
>> --
>>         Michal Čihař | http://cihar.com | http://phpmyadmin.cz

> Hi Michal,
>
> Thanks for the reply. I kept it around 20 minutes and finally got it run.
> I didn't wait much time earlier since normally it won't take much time.
> Problem is with only few test cases. If we can identify those test cases,
> probably can fix it. I'll try to find it. It is better to fix it because
> then everybody can run whole test suit before committing. This will reduce
> the test failures caused by day to day commits. So we can get the real use
> of testing.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Yasitha Pandithawatta
> Undergraduate
> Computer Science and Engineering Department
> University of Moratuwa
> Sri Lanka

Hi Michal,

I found the reason for the test takes too much time. It because
of ob_start() method. This method is calling in two place in whole test
suit.

1. testAddRule in PMA_Advisor_test.php with data set #6. There it calls
the ruleExprEvaluate() and it has ob_start() call.

        *ob_start();*
*        eval('$value = '.$expr.';');*
*        $err = ob_get_contents();*
*        ob_end_clean();*
*
*
2. start() method in OutputBuffering.class.php. It has the same method
call. This method calls when method PMA_fatalError calls. It includes
the ./libraries/error.inc.php file and it initiate the PMA_Response
object. OutputBuffering is initiate and start method is called in
the PMA_Response construct. PMA_fatalError_test.php
and PMA_warnMissingExtension_test.php test classes calls the PMA_fatalError
method.

I found the exact place by debugging and running whole test case. When
those test cases are commented  it takes only less than 1 minute to run the
whole test suit. :-)

Still I don't have an idea why this happens and it says ob_start() is
having some sort of performance issues. Any idea on how fix this?

BTW I have submitted my mid evaluation form.

Regards,