[Phpmyadmin-devel] Configuration directives for the navigation

Rouslan Placella rouslan at placella.com
Sat Jul 14 15:00:31 CEST 2012

Hi all,

As I am currently reviewing the configuration directives that are
related to the navigation system, I'd like to share what I've done so
far and also seek some advice.

So far, I've dropped the following 3 directives, as they won't really
make any sense in pma 4:
     * AllowThirdPartyFraming
     * LeftFrameLight
     * DisplayDatabasesList

However I have a dilemma about some other directives. For example, the
old navigation system used the MaxDbList and MaxTableList directives to
decide how many items to render on a page. These directives are also
used by other code to display lists of dbs and tables in the main frame.
Anyway, I'd like to lower the default values for these directives from
100 and 250 respectively to 25. This is because the new navigation
system has excellent pagination and filtering capabilities, and
therefore I think that it would be better to save some vertical space.
That said, I think that it would be better to introduce a new directive
that will be only used in the navigation without affecting the display
of items in the main frame. For example: $cfg['NavigationItemsPerPage'].

I also found the following two directives: ShowTooltipAliasDB and
ShowTooltipAliasTB. These are currently unused in my branch as I'm not
even sure what they do. Could someone please enlighten me on their purpose?

And as a last question: Many configuration directives that relate to the
navigation start with "LeftFrame*", but as frames are being dropped is
it better to rename them to "Navigation*"?

Bye,
Rouslan