[Phpmyadmin-devel] Configuration directives for the navigation

Marc Delisle marc at infomarc.info
Sat Jul 14 15:47:06 CEST 2012

Le 2012-07-14 09:00, Rouslan Placella a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> As I am currently reviewing the configuration directives that are
> related to the navigation system, I'd like to share what I've done so
> far and also seek some advice.
>
> So far, I've dropped the following 3 directives, as they won't really
> make any sense in pma 4:
>      * AllowThirdPartyFraming
>      * LeftFrameLight
>      * DisplayDatabasesList
>
> However I have a dilemma about some other directives. For example, the
> old navigation system used the MaxDbList and MaxTableList directives to
> decide how many items to render on a page. These directives are also
> used by other code to display lists of dbs and tables in the main frame.
> Anyway, I'd like to lower the default values for these directives from
> 100 and 250 respectively to 25. This is because the new navigation
> system has excellent pagination and filtering capabilities, and
> therefore I think that it would be better to save some vertical space.
> That said, I think that it would be better to introduce a new directive
> that will be only used in the navigation without affecting the display
> of items in the main frame. For example: $cfg['NavigationItemsPerPage'].

Hi Rouslan,
here, what does Items mean? For example, using your repo, we can dig
down to the column level in the navigation panel, so is column an item?

> I also found the following two directives: ShowTooltipAliasDB and
> ShowTooltipAliasTB. These are currently unused in my branch as I'm not
> even sure what they do. Could someone please enlighten me on their purpose?

They are explained in Documentation.html (however there was a typo that
I just fixed) but in short:

- you can have a db or table comment and these may appear as tooltips in
the navi panel

- you can reverse the behavior (always show the comment in the navi
panel, and the real name as a tooltip)

I'm not sure if there features are popular and I would not cry if they
disappeared.

> And as a last question: Many configuration directives that relate to the
> navigation start with "LeftFrame*", but as frames are being dropped is
> it better to rename them to "Navigation*"?

Sure.