[Phpmyadmin-devel] Configuration directives for the navigation

Rouslan Placella rouslan at placella.com
Sat Jul 14 20:12:55 CEST 2012

On 07/14/2012 02:47 PM, Marc Delisle wrote:
> Le 2012-07-14 09:00, Rouslan Placella a écrit :
>> Hi all,
>>
>> As I am currently reviewing the configuration directives that are
>> related to the navigation system, I'd like to share what I've done so
>> far and also seek some advice.
>>
>> So far, I've dropped the following 3 directives, as they won't really
>> make any sense in pma 4:
>>       * AllowThirdPartyFraming
>>       * LeftFrameLight
>>       * DisplayDatabasesList
>>
>> However I have a dilemma about some other directives. For example, the
>> old navigation system used the MaxDbList and MaxTableList directives to
>> decide how many items to render on a page. These directives are also
>> used by other code to display lists of dbs and tables in the main frame.
>> Anyway, I'd like to lower the default values for these directives from
>> 100 and 250 respectively to 25. This is because the new navigation
>> system has excellent pagination and filtering capabilities, and
>> therefore I think that it would be better to save some vertical space.
>> That said, I think that it would be better to introduce a new directive
>> that will be only used in the navigation without affecting the display
>> of items in the main frame. For example: $cfg['NavigationItemsPerPage'].
>
> Hi Rouslan,
> here, what does Items mean? For example, using your repo, we can dig
> down to the column level in the navigation panel, so is column an item?

Correct. The directive is for pagination of branches and all items that
are displayed in the navigation, including columns like you said, are be
affected.

>> I also found the following two directives: ShowTooltipAliasDB and
>> ShowTooltipAliasTB. These are currently unused in my branch as I'm not
>> even sure what they do. Could someone please enlighten me on their purpose?
>
> They are explained in Documentation.html (however there was a typo that
> I just fixed) but in short:
>
> - you can have a db or table comment and these may appear as tooltips in
> the navi panel
>
> - you can reverse the behavior (always show the comment in the navi
> panel, and the real name as a tooltip)
>
> I'm not sure if there features are popular and I would not cry if they
> disappeared.

The comments are not displayed at all in my branch at the moment, so
I'll fix that, but I don't really see the point of swapping the comments
with the real name. So think that I'm in favour of dropping the above
mentioned directives also.