[Phpmyadmin-devel] htmlspecialchars in PMA_Error

Michal Čihař michal at cihar.com
Fri Mar 30 10:23:27 CEST 2012

Hi

Dne Thu, 29 Mar 2012 22:17:42 +0200
"J.M." <me at mynetx.net> napsal(a):

> The htmlspecialchars escaping of error messages in PMA_Error,
> introduced in https://github.com/phpmyadmin/phpmyadmin/commit/656809ac3bdc8ba61b84657b8789dde8c0cb8a2e,
> causes problems with error messages containing links. See this photo
> for reference: http://cl.ly/FQ0H, read main.php, lines 293 and 329.
>
> Do we prefer using trigger_error() or the direct PMA_Message::display variant?

Generally anything what comes as an error from PHP needs to be escaped,
so there are two options:

- pass our error messages to trigger_error as some object (let's call
  it SafeString for now) and if error handler sees SafeString, it won't
  do any processing of that

- do not use trigger_error for anything what includes markup

I'd prefer first solution (actually marking strings as safe to output
is generally useful thing to prevent XSS).