[Phpmyadmin-devel] NULL in config.inc.php

Marc Delisle marc at infomarc.info
Sat Aug 17 16:01:22 CEST 2013

Le 2013-08-16 08:07, Isaac Bennetch a écrit :
> Hi, I'm working through fixing up a bit of SSL code and have encountered
> a difficulty. The PHP manual[1] says that unused parameters "may be
> given as NULL". In my testing, setting them = ''; works fine, but of
> course we want to do what PHP expects. In config.inc.php, we don't have
> any values that default to NULL, and I think it may confuse users in
> this case. I'd much prefer to leave them set = ''; in config.inc.php for
> consistency and to make it easy for users to plug in their own values.

Hi Isaac,
what do you mean, in config.inc.php? We do not offer this file in the
download kit. Do you mean the generated config.inc.php via setup? or the
sample config file?

> What I am thinking of is in libraries/config.default.php to set the
> parameters to NULL, then if the user decides to overwrite it in
> config.inc.php there is no problem. In that case, I'm not sure I'd write
> the end-user documentation as if the default was = ''; or NULL.

Indeed we should do what PHP expects and use NULL; and I suggest that
the user doc tell the truth (config.default.php contains NULL). The doc
should give a clear example when a value other than NULL needs to be used.