[Phpmyadmin-devel] ctype and mbstring dependencies

Michal Čihař michal at cihar.com
Thu Aug 22 14:26:04 CEST 2013

Hi

Dne Thu, 22 Aug 2013 08:14:22 -0400
Marc Delisle <marc at infomarc.info> napsal(a):

> Michal Čihař a écrit :
> > Hi
> >
> > Dne Wed, 21 Aug 2013 12:47:09 -0400
> > Marc Delisle <marc at infomarc.info> napsal(a):

> >> Hi Michal,
> >> how do you explain bug #4036 if these situations are handled? [0]
>
> How about moving in the doc, in a section separate from Requirements
> (could be called Performance suggestions), the mention of ctype extension?

Something like that.

> > That's in php-gettext, what could be potentially workarounded (as we
> > have all translations in utf-8). We have quite a lot of code to deal
> > with absence of mbstring in PMA_String and related classes.
>
> Would the workaround imply a change in php-gettext itself?

I don't see other way than patching it - we basically don't need any of
the functionality provided by _encode function as our locales are in
UTF-8 and same is the user interface, so this function does nothing
after detecting that text is UTF-8 and output as well.

> Also, I am wondering. Before my change in the doc, we could read:
>
> "For proper support of multibyte strings (eg. UTF-8, which is currently
>    the default), you should install the ``mbstring`` and ``ctype``
> extensions."
>
> So, is ctype required for php-gettext?

No, all it uses is mbstring for charset conversion.