[Phpmyadmin-devel] ctype and mbstring dependencies

Marc Delisle marc at infomarc.info
Thu Aug 22 14:14:22 CEST 2013

Michal Čihař a écrit :
> Hi
>
> Dne Wed, 21 Aug 2013 12:47:09 -0400
> Marc Delisle <marc at infomarc.info> napsal(a):
>
>> Michal Čihař a écrit :
>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> I see that we've documented ctype and mbstring as dependencies, while
>>> we still have huge amount of code (PMA_String and related classes) to
>>> be able to handle situations when those are not available. This
>> Hi Michal,
>> how do you explain bug #4036 if these situations are handled? [0]

How about moving in the doc, in a section separate from Requirements
(could be called Performance suggestions), the mention of ctype extension?

> That's in php-gettext, what could be potentially workarounded (as we
> have all translations in utf-8). We have quite a lot of code to deal
> with absence of mbstring in PMA_String and related classes.

Would the workaround imply a change in php-gettext itself?

Also, I am wondering. Before my change in the doc, we could read:

"For proper support of multibyte strings (eg. UTF-8, which is currently
   the default), you should install the ``mbstring`` and ``ctype``
extensions."

So, is ctype required for php-gettext?

> The question is: Do we want to support systems without mbstring
> extension? If no, we can simplify quite a lot of our code, if yes, we
> should fix this single case for php-gettext.

As Isaac said, the fewer requirements we have, the better.