[Phpmyadmin-devel] Navigation tree problems

Michal Čihař michal at cihar.com
Tue Aug 27 11:15:33 CEST 2013

Hi all

I've looked a bit about problems people see with navigation frame and
here is a little summary.

- Speed

The navigation panel is quite slow. By quickly looking at SQL queries
it does, the database/table comments are quite big culprit here. Simply
setting $cfg['ShowTooltip'] = false reduces load time a lot.

For not so big database (~25 tables), I get from 1.25s to 0.128s.

Are tooltips really worth of this? I suggest to drop this feature
completely. In case there will be demand for something like that, lets
load it on demand when user is hovering the table.

https://github.com/phpmyadmin/phpmyadmin/pull/646

- Pagination

Pagination together with tree can be quite annoying. I think we should
increase limit for pagination to something like 250. It is still not
too much to load (with disabled table comments, see above) and you can
scroll in the navigation bar, what is much more convenient that
clicking browse arrows.

https://github.com/phpmyadmin/phpmyadmin/pull/647

- Quick search and pagination

"%s other result found" is another usability nightmare, but this can be
hidden by increasing limits (see above). But IMHO quick search (as it
is anyway server side) should directly return all results.

- Database jumping

Maybe we should consider some option for database jumping - providing
select box with all databases which will bring user directly to this
database. This seems to be quite frequent use case for people
maintaining lot of databases and tree navigation makes this quite
hard...

- Preserving state on reload

This has been already discussed before.