[Phpmyadmin-devel] Navigation tree problems

Atul Pratap Singh atulpratapsingh05 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 12:28:00 CEST 2013

On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 2:45 PM, Michal Čihař <michal at cihar.com> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I've looked a bit about problems people see with navigation frame and
> here is a little summary.
>
> - Speed
>
> The navigation panel is quite slow. By quickly looking at SQL queries
> it does, the database/table comments are quite big culprit here. Simply
> setting $cfg['ShowTooltip'] = false reduces load time a lot.
>
> For not so big database (~25 tables), I get from 1.25s to 0.128s.
>
> Are tooltips really worth of this? I suggest to drop this feature
> completely. In case there will be demand for something like that, lets
> load it on demand when user is hovering the table.
>
> https://github.com/phpmyadmin/phpmyadmin/pull/646
>
> - Pagination
>
> Pagination together with tree can be quite annoying. I think we should
> increase limit for pagination to something like 250. It is still not
> too much to load (with disabled table comments, see above) and you can
> scroll in the navigation bar, what is much more convenient that
> clicking browse arrows.
>
> https://github.com/phpmyadmin/phpmyadmin/pull/647

+1 to the speed and pagination improvements...

> - Quick search and pagination
>
> "%s other result found" is another usability nightmare, but this can be
> hidden by increasing limits (see above). But IMHO quick search (as it
> is anyway server side) should directly return all results.
>
> - Database jumping
>
> Maybe we should consider some option for database jumping - providing
> select box with all databases which will bring user directly to this
> database. This seems to be quite frequent use case for people
> maintaining lot of databases and tree navigation makes this quite
> hard...
>
> I think fast-filter feature may also be more handy for quickly jumping
databases:-
- If we set the cursor focus by default on fast-filter feature when the
user is in navi panel, (after removing "%s other result found" thing).
This way user can just start typing a few characters in the name of the
database..

Also, we could dynamically adjust the current "minimum 30 databases" limit
on fast-filter feature, to enable fast-filter whenever the databases list
is long enough that it goes down below the visible page height..

--
Atul Pratap Singh
http://blog.atulsisodia.in/