[Phpmyadmin-devel] Navigation tree problems

Michal Čihař michal at cihar.com
Tue Aug 27 14:52:48 CEST 2013

Hi

Dne Tue, 27 Aug 2013 08:29:04 -0400
Marc Delisle <marc at infomarc.info> napsal(a):

> Michal Čihař a écrit :
> > Hi all
> >
> > I've looked a bit about problems people see with navigation frame and
> > here is a little summary.
> >
> > - Speed
> >
> > The navigation panel is quite slow. By quickly looking at SQL queries
> > it does, the database/table comments are quite big culprit here. Simply
> > setting $cfg['ShowTooltip'] = false reduces load time a lot.
> >
> > For not so big database (~25 tables), I get from 1.25s to 0.128s.
> >
> > Are tooltips really worth of this? I suggest to drop this feature
> > completely. In case there will be demand for something like that, lets
> > load it on demand when user is hovering the table.
> >
> > https://github.com/phpmyadmin/phpmyadmin/pull/646
>
> As I wrote in the pull request, I suggest instead to set the directive
> to false by default, keeping the feature for those who need it. At least
> for 4.0.x.

IMHO it makes navigation simply too slow to even provide option to
enable it. The problem is that there is probably no way to get table
comment fast - either you use information_schema, which is usually slow
for large databases (and therefore we do not use it by default) or SHOW
TABLE STATUS which is on normal installations even slower than
information_schema.

> > - Preserving state on reload
> >
> > This has been already discussed before.
>
> Kasun is working on that this week and maybe he should target QA_4_0 for
> this "feature" (if it's not too much new code)?

I agree this should go into 4.0.x.