[Phpmyadmin-devel] Navigation tree problems

Marc Delisle marc at infomarc.info
Tue Aug 27 14:29:04 CEST 2013

Michal Čihař a écrit :
> Hi all
>
> I've looked a bit about problems people see with navigation frame and
> here is a little summary.
>
> - Speed
>
> The navigation panel is quite slow. By quickly looking at SQL queries
> it does, the database/table comments are quite big culprit here. Simply
> setting $cfg['ShowTooltip'] = false reduces load time a lot.
>
> For not so big database (~25 tables), I get from 1.25s to 0.128s.
>
> Are tooltips really worth of this? I suggest to drop this feature
> completely. In case there will be demand for something like that, lets
> load it on demand when user is hovering the table.
>
> https://github.com/phpmyadmin/phpmyadmin/pull/646

As I wrote in the pull request, I suggest instead to set the directive
to false by default, keeping the feature for those who need it. At least
for 4.0.x.

> - Pagination
>
> Pagination together with tree can be quite annoying. I think we should
> increase limit for pagination to something like 250. It is still not
> too much to load (with disabled table comments, see above) and you can
> scroll in the navigation bar, what is much more convenient that
> clicking browse arrows.
>
> https://github.com/phpmyadmin/phpmyadmin/pull/647

Merged.

> - Quick search and pagination
>
> "%s other result found" is another usability nightmare, but this can be
> hidden by increasing limits (see above). But IMHO quick search (as it
> is anyway server side) should directly return all results.
>
> - Database jumping
>
> Maybe we should consider some option for database jumping - providing
> select box with all databases which will bring user directly to this
> database. This seems to be quite frequent use case for people
> maintaining lot of databases and tree navigation makes this quite
> hard...
>
> - Preserving state on reload
>
> This has been already discussed before.

Kasun is working on that this week and maybe he should target QA_4_0 for
this "feature" (if it's not too much new code)?

As he said in his proposal, "This is more of a bug".