[Phpmyadmin-devel] Error reports

Mohamed Ashraf mohamed.ashraf.213 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 7 15:10:48 CEST 2013

On Sun, Jul 7, 2013 at 12:34 PM, Dieter Adriaenssens
<dieter.adriaenssens at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2013/7/5 Mohamed Ashraf <mohamed.ashraf.213 at gmail.com>:
>> For the server side component of the error reporting system. What are
>> the things you want to do with the reports. like for example comments,
>> or storing status of the reports. what other things do think you would
>> want to do on the error reporting server.
>>
>> What I am thinking is commenting, changing status, searching and of
>> course viewing all the details of the report as well as related
>> reports.
>>
>> Do you want the ability to delete error reports or just mark them as
>> resolved. and while we are on the matter what are the statuses that
>> should exist for the error reports. I am thinking at least new and
>> resolved but I cant think of anything else;
>>

> Hi,
>
> I see this server as a go-between for getting error reports into our
> existing bug-tracker [0] at Sourceforge.
>
> I think it should gather error reports, group them and have the
> possibility of inserting it in the bug-tracker, no need to mimic the
> functionality of the existing bug-tracker.
I was going to do something like that for github issues since I am
already using github authentication. I think that doing this for
sourceforge issue tracker is better since it the one you actually use.
I however cannot use sourceforge authentication because it doesn't
provide an api to get user info so I will have to both have github and
sourceforge connection

> F.e. when a error report comes in, the server should check if it is
> similar (= identical) to existing reports. If it is, group them, and
> give the new report the same status as the existing one(s).
> If it is new, mark as to review, and/or send it to the bug-tracker.
the problem with automatic submission is spam. I think that alot of
error reports that are very similar but not identical would be
submitted if automatic submission is followed. due to the different
ways browsers send their stacktraces and handle errors in general some
reports with the same problem appear to be different thus submitted
individually. I think that it should be done manually when a member
requests it.

also should the bug submission in sourceforge come from the account of
the user who submitted it (requiring a sourceforge connection) or from
a separate account for the error reporting system which would render
the sourceforge connection no longer required.